About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Week 3.3 Complete

Aug 7th
There ended up being not too many people here last night. Basically it was us 3 housemates, Patrice and Michelle and Callum. Robert stopped by for a bit, too. There also wasn’t any wine, which was fine by me, really. We had a nice little visit and chat. It was all very low key.
It started storming at about 7 this morning and didn’t stop all day. It’s still drizzling outside. My boss said that there may be a typhoon tomorrow and if there is, I don’t have to work. I kinda hope there is one. Not just to get out of work either. I’ve never seen a typhoon before. I should probably stock up on food and bottled water . They say that after a storm here you shouldn’t drink the tap water.
Anyway, because of the rain and whatever, my kids were all really antsy. The one who cried on and off most of yesterday forgot the off today. One of my boys who is usually pretty good was horrible; not listening and being incredibly silly. Even one of my girls cried all day because she wanted to be in her sister’s class. It sucked. But my smarty was really well behaved. He even used full English sentences without prompting today! That’s huge. Seriously, I want to steal that kid.
I tried saki for the first time today. For lunch, I went to a restaurant with Sam. He decided he needed a drink and told me after he’d ordered what he had gotten (he always orders in Chinese). That’s when he told me I was splitting the saki with him. I didn’t like it much, but apparently I would like a better quality saki, because the alcohol flavour is not so strong. I also had my first authentic Chinese sweet and sour sauce. It was really good. Better than what we get at home.

Aug 8th
Half day today. Thank God. In the 2 hours that I taught, 3/5 of my kids cried. And believe it or not, crying boy wasn’t one of them. He actually participated and got some answers right. It was actually one of the bright spots.
The other bright spot was following the Jays game (live) online before work, and seeing part of it in the evening at dinner. Sucks that they lost, but I’ve never been so happy that they’re playing the Yankees. Since there’s a Taiwanese pitcher on the Yankees, that’s the only MLB team that they ever show here. But I got to see my boyfriend, even if only for a minute.
Other than that I had lunch with Sam (really good and cheap chicken curry) and dinner with Katherine and Diana (at NY bagel where they make spectacular scrambled eggs and cheese). And I did laundry in the afternoon. All in all an uneventful, yet enjoyable day.
I did, however realize that I am a gigantic moron. I’ve been worrying about ordering my Nix books here when I’m going to Australia after I’m done here. Nix is from Australia and I know they’re published there. In English, no less. Seriously, could I be any more stupid? (Yes. I could have written stupider, which I did originally.)

Aug 9th
Jays won today!!! Sadly I didn’t get to actually see any of the game. But I did follow what was happening online before work. Of course when I started watching at 8 They were already winning 8-2.
My stupid power adapter just blew. So I am on battery power only until I can pick up a new one. Boo.
School went well. Nobody cried. Everyone was relatively well behaved. I think I keep planning things that are beyond their capabilities. I’m working on toning it down, but it’s hard. It’s not that they’re slow, I’m just trying to explain things in a language they don’t understand. Oh well. Tomorrow’s Friday and then I get a weekend.
Nothing new to report today except that I can get an ice cream bar at 7/11 for the equivalent of 50c Canadian. I was super excited.

No comments: