About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My mood swings are becoming legendary

Tues Oct 30th
KTV was super fun. Not everyone dressed up, but that’s ok. One of the guys bought a glowing light saber that made sound effects when you moved it. It’s my new favourite thing. I played with it for ages and I’m not the only one. The pics are really cool (Hallowe’en...). Since it was a Sunday night, I didn’t drink, but other’s did. And I had to pour Jason into his room at the end of the night. And he’s a big guy.
Yesterday was fine. School was practically empty. There’s some sort of virus going around. Tons of the kids are sick and Sam and Corrie both called in.
It was also a little weird not to have to prep after school. So I killed time at home before meeting Katy at 7 to go to the library. Of course, when we got there, the library was closed, which sucked a lot.
Today was too dreary to be a park day, but I do have dvd time scheduled for the afternoon. So instead of reading a story and watching a short video, I let my kids watch the first hour of Snow White. I forgot how freaky old Disney could be. One of my kids was terrified of the movie. Sam’s class joined us (none of them were scared) and Sandy yelled at him for always watching videos. For a different class, we played around with Red Riding Hood finger puppets. It was a good day for fairy tales. And one of my kids said "Wo ai ni", which means "I love you" when I left at the end of the day.
I have no idea what I’m going to do with my evening, since I don’t have to teach. I suppose I should eat something, but what?

Fri Nov 2nd
So, after all of the buildup, Hallowe’en itself was a bust. I went for Thai food at lunch with Katherine. I spent the afternoon at home on the internet. While I downloaded the new Bones episode, I watched the only Hallowe’en ep of Buffy that I possess. That was the only thing that was even remotely traditional. Kids here don’t trick or treat, so it was a super quiet night.
Work sucked yesterday. I felt like a harpy during the math lesson. We have to use this math program that’s designed for one on one or small group (i.e. 3 kids max) tutoring. And I teach a class of 15, where I can’t let the kids make mistakes in their books, because the books go home to the parents. Any mistakes mean I’m not teaching properly. (I’m rolling my eyes, right now). I think I will sum up the rest of the day with a little game of Fortunately/ Unfortunately:
Fortunately, I didn’t have to teach the last hour because of a meeting to discuss the new topic.
Unfortunately, the meetings are an exercise in futility and make my head hurt.
Fortunately, our next field trip is to the zoo and my class gets to go.
Unfortunately, my class has to stay in the petting zoo all day.
Fortunately, school (like everything else in life) did eventually end.
The evening was much better. Katy and I went into Taipei for dinner. Then we walked from the restaurant to the bookstore and I bought 2 new books (which together cost about $6). I’ve finished one already and wasn’t impressed. I thought it would be a cute love story, but it turned out to actually be a Romance (complete with capital R). The other one promises to be better. But I think it’s going to be freaky, so I don’t want to read it right before bed. I read a couple of pages in the bookstore and there have already been 2 ghost sightings.
Today work was better. I finished my evals (of the kids who were there) and we had birthday party. My kids are always the cutest. Everyone commented on how adorable they are. They also mauled me, which makes me remember why I love my job. It’s sad, though. Most of my kids have been off sick for at least a day or two over the last week. They’re just passing the same virus around among them. Luckily I haven’t caught it yet *knock on wood*.
After work, all 5 preschool teachers went for tea at the 24 hour place. It was really interesting. Adrienne told us about some of the Maori customs that she grew up with.
After tea Katy and I went for a walk around CKS. We ended up grabbing fries and dessert near Taipei 101 and then came home, where I watched the most recent ep of Heroes. It’s still so good. I love the way they’re introducing the new characters and reintroducing old ones!!! Otherwise, it’s been a pretty uneventful evening.

Sat Nov 3rd
Spoke to the mothership today. Things at home are pretty much the same old, same old. I forgot to ask about Aunt Susie’s cruise. I think she’s still gone, but she may be home by now. I don’t know.
Some weird things were going on with the bathroom light today. In the middle of my shower the room went dark. At first I thought my roommates were messing with me (the switch is on the outside) but none of them were home. When I accidentally tapped the ceiling (it’s really low) the light came back on. But it didn’t stay on. It went off and on a few more times, until I just finished my shower by the light coming in through the vent in the door. What is it with me and electricity related issues?
I spent the afternoon downloading and watching Zodiac and reading Ariel. The movie was really good, but not quite what I expected. I also went grocery shopping. Then this evening, Jason and I just hung out around the apartment. We went to the media store and I bought a movie called Voo Doo with Corey Feldman in it. It was SO boring. Even the Corey entertainment factor didn’t make it worth watching. When it was over I secluded myself in my room to finish my book. It was amazing. Just the right mix of creepyness and character development. Lawrence Block sure can write.

Tues Nov 6th
Yesterday at work sucked beyond sucking. I felt like crap and had very little sleep. And most of my kids seemed to feel the same way. But today I was much more me. Perkiness levels were back just slightly below normal range. But for some reason, by the time I got home, I was exhausted. Like head pounding, barely keeping my eyes open exhausted. I think I’m either getting sick, or with the overcast weather, my allergies are picking up. I’ve taken a Benadryl, so I guess we’ll see.
And sadly enough, I’m about to do my dishes and go to bed... at 8:48pm. Man, I suck.

Wed Nov 7th
Baseball World Cup!!! The three words which have put my perkiness levels at 110%. I’m so glad that I slept well (and long) last night. I had tons of energy to go watch Canada’s first game in the World Cup. We lost to Korea, but I don’t even care. I haven’t seen baseball, or so many Western boys in one place in SO long. It was a veritable feast for the eyes (like watching the Blue Jays). And on the way home, the team bus passed us while we were waiting for our bus.
Also, K really enjoyed the game, so we’re going again. I’m going to see as many games as I can. Saturday they’re playing Germany and Sunday it’s the Netherlands. I have to miss the Cuba game on Friday thanks to the stupid Parent’s Night.
The rest of my day was pretty routine. School, Thai for lunch, home to read. The kids were pretty good. And I’m just rereading one of the books that I brought with me, which I still enjoy.
Now I’m just finishing up my speech for parent’s night, because my poor CT is so nervous about translating. I’m trying to get it to her early, so she has time. This stupid event is ruining my life! (How’s that for overly dramatic?)

No comments: