About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Friday, September 28, 2007

My Birthday, the national holiday

Thurs Sept 20th
I ate so much free food today, it was ridiculous. Lunch at school was my favourite. And then after school was the Kojen Moon Festival party in the office. There was all sorts of foods laid out. I tried mooncake for the first time, as well as pomelo (which tastes like a cross between grapefruit and guava) and dragonfruit (which doesn’t have much taste at all). There was also some weird fish chip thing that was nasty. Then in my adult class, some of the girls brought in candy from Japan to share with everyone. I’ve now eaten a strawberry cream and an orange chocolate from Tokyo Disneyland.
The kids were horrible today, but I soothed my nerves with ice cream at lunch and they were better in the afternoon. I went with Sam. It turns out that both he and Corrie will be around this weekend. So maybe I'll have someone to hang out with while everyone else is working.

Fri Sept 21
I am a giant loser. It’s 6pm on a Friday night and I am sitting alone in my room, writing in my journal, listening to children’s music and waiting for an episode of the X-Files to download. I don’t think I could be more pathetic if I tried.
The kids were awful today. Like, seriously. And the older kids got to go to the astronomy museum, while my class was stuck in school. We did manage to play dodge ball though. How is it that they can get that, but they can’t figure out tag? I just don’t know what to expect from these kids at all. The activities I expect them to get really easily end up being like rocket science. And the ones that I expect to be very difficult are like nothin’.
I exchanged numbers with Corrie and got Sam’s number. If we go to the beach on Sunday they’re both in. My beach plans are being diverted by Robert’s cousin, though. They want to go to a park where there are all of these rock formations. I saw some pictures and it looks interesting, but it’s an hour away and they want to spend the day there. There’s nothing to do but look at rocks. I’d much rather be learning how to surf.

Tues Sept 25th
Happy Birthday ME!!!!!! It’s been a super fantastic weekend. And I’ve got the rest of today for fantasticness. After all it is my 25th on the 25th. Isn’t that supposed to be special? Here’s the breakdown of the weekend thus far.
Sat was like any other day. Listened to the game while I talked to mom. And for another 2 hours after I got off the phone. 14 innings, seriously. When they had a 4-0 lead going into the bottom of the ninth. Anyway, I spent my afternoon doing laundry and tidying then I met the others at the school and we went for dinner at the Thai restaurant nearby.
After dinner we went to a bar called Bravo for what was supposed to be a James Brown party. It was really just a bunch of foreigners watching rugby while a James Brown CD played in the background. We still had fun, though. There were board games, as well as darts and foosball. T and I were partners and we won at the board game and got our @$$es kicked at foosball.
Sunday the group split up. A bunch of them went to see the rock formations. I really didn’t want to go, so I stayed home and slept in. Then I found out that Di hadn’t been feeling well, so she’d stayed home too. In the afternoon, she and I went to the Lin Family Gardens and Mansion (Lin Family Gardens) because it’s close to where we live. It’s really just a big complex of buildings. It’s not one big building like you’d expect from a mansion at home. The grounds have all of this fabulous detail work. Most of it in stone. There are very few straight paths, too. Everything meanders and curves. Even the bridges zig zag. I think it has to do with feng shui and the flow of chi. We got a little bit lost on our way there and the way home, so we had a nice little wander (Random Things). We found a bunch of shops and stalls, selling some really great things. I picked up 3 shirts that all together cost about 400NT (or $13).
For dinner we went into Taipei and met the others to go to an Indian restaurant. It was ok. There was an all you can eat buffet and I liked some stuff. Some of it was really spicy though. Like too spicy for Di who grew up on Indian food. After dinner, we meandered back to the MRT and most of us came straight home.
Yesterday started like any other day. I had the day off from preschool, but the others in the kids department had to work. I actually agreed to sub someone’s classes for them, so that they could go away, so I had to teach last night too. Both of the classes were fine but Bushiban is really different than the kindergarten that I’m used to.
While I was at school, my care packages from home arrived there. I brought them straight home and opened them right away. I love COOKIES!!! Also, it was nice to see some miniwheats. But the best things were the presents. My mommy made me piggies. Also, she sent me Heroes, season 1. I’m so excited. And the pictures that came from London made me cry and miss everyone like crazy. I’ve been looking at them all day. One of my roommates thought Mike was my brother. So I said not really, and pointed out the pic of Jamie that I have on my wall.
After birthday presents, we went to the night market. We just wandered, but I’d never been there before, so it was cool. There was one stall with bunnies and hamsters and mice. They were so cute. There were Betas there too and I almost bought one, but I restrained myself. From the night market we went to Jackie and Ty’s for a bit, but I was going stir crazy, so I dragged everyone else to 0204. We arrived in time to have tequila shots at midnight to start my birthday in style. That bar makes a killer tequila sunrise. I’ll admit, I got a little tipsy. I even managed to help my team win a game of pool by sinking the 8 ball. (It was the first of our balls that I sunk all game.) I feel my inebriation is excusable, given that I have to teach tomorrow and can’t drink tonight on my actual birthday. After last call, I was still buzzing with energy, so I made Jason wander the area with me. Nothing was open except the 24 hour place and neither one of us wanted to spend more money, so we just came home.
Today’s been pretty mellow. Everyone’s been really sweet and saying Happy Birthday. Di even bought me a present. It’s a necklace that I had seen and loved while we were wandering around on Sunday. It’s a jade heart on a black cord that sits right in the hollow of my neck.
As for today’s plans, I want to go to the zoo, but Robert wants to go down to Xindian. Apparently it’s beautiful, with a river and mountains. But there’s not anything to do there. It’s just a nice walk. And I’ve been feeling way too unfocused for a walk. I need something to DO. Hence my desire to see the zoo (well, that and the animals).
There’s also apparently a really cool moon festival thing happening by the river this evening, which I’d like to check out. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Fri Sept 28th
So on Tues we ended up at Xindian. Woo hoo. (In case you couldn’t tell, that was sarcastic.) There is very little to do there. I was not impressed. We walked across a suspension bridge that was long enough to make me feel sick. Then most of the group paddle-boated up the river, which I didn’t want to do. T didn’t want to boat either, so the two of us wandered around on the shore. When they finished with the boats, we rejoined the group and went for "dinner". That part was ok, and then we had fireworks. They were on sale for Moon Festival. All in all, the day would’ve been fine if it were any other day, but for a birthday it was a little disappointing. I’ve also decided that a birthday without a tiara is scarcely a birthday at all.
Wed was back to the same old, same old. Class was fine. Lunch with Katy and Sam was nice. Then K and I went into Taipei for hot chocolate at Amadeus. We tried to convince Sam to come with us, but he bailed. We also stopped by the bookstore, where all English books were at least 30% off. I bought 3. I’ve read 1 and a half and so far, well worth every penny. Then I taught my adult class. It was ok, but I was really tired by the time it ended.
Yesterday was SO long. I taught a full day of preschool and then my adult class. Nothing of note happened in either, but I think my adult students don’t respect me. It may have something to do with the fact that I’m like Skipper, Barbie’s little sister. Or it may just be that I suck at teaching adults. I spent so much of my time prepping various lessons yesterday that I barely got a second to myself.
Today wasn’t much better, even if it was "teacher’s day". I did get a really sweet card from one of my kids. Homemade and everything. The kids were in high spirits today. And my energy came and went, but I got through it. Went shopping after work to pick up some odds and ends (or bits and bobs, as Di would say) that I need for around the house. I also got Lucas’ birthday present. Of course I did forget to buy bread, which was my main reason for going. But I’m not missing it as much now that I can have cereal for breakfast.
And an update on the birthday present love, I sleep with the piggies, one on each side of my pillow. I have the pictures prominently displayed on my table. And since Tuesday, I have watched 12 episodes of Heroes. That’s even with all the time I’ve been spending prepping and teaching. So you all did very well, and I appreciate it SO MUCH!!!!
I’m off to bed. Another long day ahead of me. School from 9-4 and then my birthday party at night. It’s my first trip to a Taiwanese club. I’m really excited!

2 comments:

Billy Ruffian said...

Well, it sucks about the tiara-less b-day, but I'm happy you like your gifts and that you are still enjoying alot of the stuff in Taiwan.

Unknown said...

I am glad that everything arrived in time for your birthday. The picture of the three of you made me cry too. I think it makes Tracy feel less alone because you are far away too. Love ya, Aunt Sue