About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Aug. 25 - Batumi and Kobuletti

I didn't like hanging out with teenagers when I was one. I like it even less, now. My host cousins took me to hang out in 'The Park' with them on Monday night. It was me and 5 teenagers. Super-fun. They did take me on the giant ferris wheel, which was kinda fun. But it goes reeeeaaalllllly slowly, so as you get close to the top there's loads of time to think about just how high you are and picture all of the terrible things that could happen if the basket fell. After emerging unscathed from the deathtrap we went for a walk on the boulevard and then back to the apartment.
Yesterday we went to the museum for an exhibit by a Georgian painter. I didn't much like his work. It was really simplistic lines and dark colours. All of the living things had these creepy big, empty eyes. The one painting I liked was about a rustler stealing a horse, and I liked it because of how he painted the moon and clouds.
After the museum we met HM at a cafe. We dropped S at her place and the girls at their place, cuz I had to get my things and then headed back to Kvirike. I had a swim and some dinner and then we went visiting with the neighbours. The visit was fun, but was kind of annoyed, because I had to miss my favourite serial.
Random things I've learned.
1. The cows that migrate up and down the street have no distinguishing marks. They just know which home is theirs. If a cow tries to come into your yard, it's your cow.
2. There is no drinking age here. Kids drink whenever their parents say it's ok.
3. Many people are "fasting" right now. But this just means that they don't eat meat. Except fish apparently doesn't count as meat, because everyone's still eating it. When the fasting is over I'm sure I will be subjected to pressure to eat chicken and other meats again, but for now, I'm enjoying the break.
Today in Kobuletti, I finally got my Georgian bank card and I bought a new beach bag. It's pink and says "the Black Sea". I chacked out the Resource Centre, too. It's not quite what I expected, but it's busy and obviously well-used. I'll probably have more of an appreciation for it after Sept.1st when I know more about what I'm teaching.

No comments: