About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dec 1 - My Life of the "G" List

It’s December!!! The countdown has officially begun. I received a one word text from Sailor this morning, letting me know that she’s as excited as I am. It just said "December!" At school, gr 8 was amazing (as always) and gr. 12 was 15 minutes late and no one had books. So I gave them an in-class writing assignment, similar to what they have to do for the national exam. Two of them stayed for the entire class and didn’t even write their names on paper. And I’m not allowed to give a mark below 5/10, so there’s no way to penalize them.

After the farce that is gr. 12, Co-teach and I were enjoying our 2 class break. We went outside, sat in the sun, and watched a couple of classes have P.E. Just after the bell rang to start the second period of our 2 period break, one of the students leans out a window and yells something to Co-teach in Georgian. She looks at me and says, "We have to teach gr. 10." When I asked her when, she said, "now." We had no lesson plan, no books, and no idea what these kids know. I complained for a minute, going so far as to tell her that I wasn’t going to teach them. But of course, after venting the worst of my frustration, I sucked it up and went into class. We focused on the alphabet; writing the letters and pronouncing the letter names. One thing I will say for these kids, because they want to be there, they pay attention and actually listen. If I weren’t so furious about the situation, I’d probably actually enjoy teHB1ng them.

Got home from school to find no power. Again. It’s the 4th day in a row and it’s really annoying. I folded some laundry, tidied my room, prepped a vocab list for gr. 6, played some solitare, talked on the phone and read a little. Mom called and I talked to her until we got cut off. While I was talking to mom, the power came back, which made it possible for computer use. Thank God.

I had just finished an English lesson with Atchi and settled in with Veronica Mars, when Boston called. She had a weird experience on her walk home and wanted someone to talk to for the rest of the way. So we chatted and suddenly we got cut off. I blamed Geocell and tried to call her back, but it took a couple of tries to get through. When I finally did, she was breathless and incoherant.

From a text message and a call later, I learned that she’d been attacked in the stairwell of her apartment building. The guy grabbed her from behind and tried to take her purse. Our call got cut off when she dropped the phone. A 4:30am text message, assured me that everything was fine and that she’d been at the police station answering questions.

No comments: