About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Nov. 30 - Nothing Good Can Stay

With school starting later, I have a lot more free time in the mornings. I’m trying to make use of it by writing my journal, then. This morning, as I was finishing up, the power went off. Thinking that this didn’t bode too well for interneting in the afternoon, I made plans to go to the library in Batumi.

School was fine. My classes were all good and there was no mention of gr 10. I’m hoping that this works out like everything else here; a lot of talk, but no action. My gr 8's had a class cancelled during my break, so we got their lesson over and finished early (they’re normally the last class of the day).

After school, I dropped my things at home and caught the bus right away. In Batumi I had some errands to run, and they went smoothly as well. Picked up my things at Goodwill, with no trouble and didn’t have to wait very long to add minutes to my phone. I had a snack in the park and then met Sailor at the library.

I was disappointed in the lack of response to some of my e-mail queries, but otherwise, got done what I needed to. From the library, Sailor and I hit up one of the souvenir stores by the Italian restaurant and we both founds gifts for those hard-to-buy-for people. We started heading back toward the marshrutka and ran into a bunch of different people along the way. Even after stopping to chat for a while, we made it to Goodwill quite early. So we decided to buy drinks and hang out for a bit before going home. I found chocolate milk in the dairy section. I haven’t had chocolate milk since home. It was delicious.

On the marshrutka, we managed to get the front seats by being the first ones there. No one made us move and it was still light outside. We had a quiet ride home and Sailor got the guy to stop at her stop on the first try (it usually takes 2 or 3). I rode the rest of the way on my own, appreciating how pretty everything is at dusk. By the time we stopped in Kobuleti, it was dark. I couldn’t find the handle, so I set my things on the seat while I looked. I finally found it and grabbed my purse before climbing down.

The bus wasn’t where it should’ve been, so I resigned myself to taking a cab. One of the cab drivers who knows me was there and he drove me home. About 30 seconds from my house, I realized that I didn’t have the bag with my souvenir. I’d left it on the marshrutka. I’m hoping for one of those random Georgian coincidences, where on Friday I get the same guy and he hands me my things, but I’m not holding my breath.

Power was still out when I got home, and the generator was running. So I sat with my Kobo in the family room, to conserve power, until the town electricity came back. Once power was restored, I came upstairs and busied myself with my computer and tv.

No comments: