About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oct. 11 - Staff party, but no Thanksgiving

Today school was the norm. Except that I had the key for our classroom, since Co-teach had to leave early on Friday. It was nice to get into the room at 8:50 instead of 9 for my 9 o’clock class. I found my Kobo, right on my desk where I left it. All my classes went well and the woman who told my coffee cup fortune said that I am going to have a niece and a nephew. I told mom and she was amused.

It was sunny and beautiful all day, right up until my last class. My teaching was interrupted by thunder near enough to shake the building. Also at this time, one of the teachers was celebrating a new grandchild, so there was a teachers’ party in the cafeteria. During the lesson, Co-teach and I were summoned no less than 5 times to come to this party. One time, the director sent a child up to tell us that because of the rain, we were to let the students leave early.

Granted it was a really heavy, unexpected rain, but it was also one of the few days that we’ve been able to keep the gr. 12s working and interested in the lesson. No way was I stopping them while they were engaged. Since we didn’t get to the party soon enough, Co-teach got 2 calls on her cell phone (which was on during the lesson) both to tell us to come.

We did go down, once class was over and were presented with papa (water and flour boiled into a paste, served with a well of butter in the middle and sprinkled with sugar) and a million cakes. I don’t like papa (had it on my birthday), so I told Co-teach and she didn’t have any either. So the two of us had cake and grape juice (that was trying to be wine, but not quite making it). The napoleani cake is layers of pastry and a creamy frosting. It is like a Passion Flaky on steroids and I love it.

Even though I was full on cakes, when I got home I was told that there was lobio (it means beans) for me in the kitchen. Thinking I needed something wholesome to take the edge off of my sugar intake, I had some. After changing, of course, since I was soaked from walking home in the rain.

The cleaning lady was also here doing the floors. I did my best to stay out of the way, so mostly I just checked my e-mail and read a little. When the boys got home, HB1 came up to get the internet, and HB3 followed him. He said hello to me (in Georgian) and when the cleaning lady came up the stair behind him, he told her that I was in my room (in Georgian). He was so excited to see me. So we went downstairs together, because upstairs is cold, and HD had a fire going in the tv room. I sat in there with my Kobo and watched the boys play.

I was expecting a call from Mom, since it's Thanksgiving at home, and I headed back upstairs around 6:30. She called and we had a good talk, which was nice, because the power had gone out. Again. Mom put Daddy on the phone and we also had a good talk, in spite of getting disconnected 3 times.

When we finally got off the phone for good, I watched some tv and went to bed.

No comments: