About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Oct. 7 - Busy, Busy, Busy

Today was.... I don’t even know. My classes were pretty typical. The ones I expect to be good were and the ones I expect to drive me nuts did. The only thing of note in class was that I only had 10 kids in Gr. 8. But they were all good ones and as the last class of the day, it was a dream.

My afternoon was spent grading homework, reading a library book, and hanging out with Bebia. I had started laundry in the morning, so I hung it to dry, as well. Jamal and the kids got home around 5:30ish. The boys watched some of the neighbourhood kids play soccer, while I visited with two of the neighbours. One has been taking English lessons and asked me to check her homework, so I did.

HM came home and we all had tea, outside. It has gotten quite cool here. It’s not comfortable to be outside without long sleeves any more. But the warm tea made a nice contrast to the chill in the air. Just as we were finishing up, Neigbour Boy came over, also for English help. He is working on practice exams.

We were partway through the first question when the power went out. It’s getting dark early, so even being outside didn’t help. We finished that question by flashlight, but then HM needed the light to get the boys’ dinner ready. Neighbour went home, with a promise to come back when the power was back on.

Everyone else was in the kitchen, but I came upstairs to get my little LED flashlight. I decided to call Joker and make him entertain me, since we haven’t talked in a couple of days. Mid-convo, my flashlight batteries died and I was left in the dark. Luckily, the generator kicked in and we had power. For about 10 seconds, before it went out again. A few more flickers and the power came back on for good.

I decided to take advantage and watch some tv. No sooner had I turned the tv on, than HB1 appeared for help with his homework. His teacher had assigned 5 exercises today, that are due tomorrow. While we were on the second one, Neighbour came back, to finish his work.

So an hour and a half later, HB1 finally finishes and goes downstairs. I checked Neighbour’s work and we finished the last few tasks. I didn’t actually teach him, so much as tell him the answers, because I was too tired to put in more effort. Once we were done, I went down for a (late) dinner. HM and HB1 worked on his Georgian homework while I ate dinner.

After dinner, I checked my email and did some net surfing. Then I went to bed. All in all a productive and eventful day. Especially considering that I didn’t even leave the village.

No comments: