About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Oct. 9 and 10 - Sleepover Party

Yesterday, I was supposed to meet that Georgian English teacher to go to her school and visit her house. Around 7:30 Sailor sent me a text that she wasn’t coming, due to still being sick and it being a generally crappy day outside. I looked out my window to note that while it wasn’t exactly raining, it was so wet that if you weren’t under cover, you ended up soaked just from standing there.

I decided that without my backup (and just having gotten over being sick) I didn’t want to go anywhere. I texted the teacher and she said that that was fine, because she’d been sick too. We may try to do it again next week, if I’m not in Turkey with the teachers from my school. Next, I called Boston, because she was planning to come play at my house and we were supposed to meet in Kobuleti. She still wanted to come in, and it worked out better this way, because she could work on her own timeline.

She finally got here around 5. Came in and spent a bunch of time with the family. Had dinner and visited. A host aunt and cousin were here as well, so it was kind of a party. While we were visiting, I got a text from Joker. Turns out, COOLIO had a concert in Batumi last night and a bunch of them were going. A little jealous, but feeling pretty cozy, we retreated upstairs.

We watched some tv shows I’d never heard of (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Party Down), but quite enjoy and Mad Men, which Boston loves. She had to explain a lot about what was going on to me, but I think it’s one that I may watch from the beginning when I get home.
We went to bed at 11, since we were both tired. And this morning, I woke up around my regular time, but lay in bed until 8:30ish. Boston stayed in bed til 10, which was fine, because it gave me time to read the latest book I got from the library. It’s called Summerland and is about baseball and the end of the world (and using baseball as a means to NOT end the world). I love it.

Once Boston got up, we had breakfast, then came back upstairs and turned on the tv. None of my Turkish channels were showing English shows, so we watched MTV and Rebel TV for hours. Throughout our viewing time, we took turns getting dressed and brushing our teeth and stuff. Finally at about 2, we headed downstairs so that Boston could catch a bus back to Batumi.

Nato just had lunch ready, so we ate before she left. While we were eating a couple of neighbours came over to visit. Just before 2:30 we went outside to catch a bus. One happened to come right away and Boston got on it.

I’m trying to make an effort to socialize more with the family, so I stayed downstairs after Boston was gone. Mostly, the women talked around me while we all drank tea, and I watched a British reality show on tv. After an hour I felt that I had put in sufficient time and once again retreated to my room.

I watched some episodes of Leno and Cold Case and Dr. Who. But I’m nowhere near desprate enough to watch Ghost Whisperer. While that was on, I finished my book.

No comments: