About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oct. 13 - I'm Useful

This morning I had breakfast before the family. The spaghetti was still in the frying pan when I finished. I think HM might be sick. I was a little later than usual to leave, because I was just getting to the good stuff in "Emma". I was about halfway to school when I realized that I’d left the key to our classroom on my dresser. I hurried home to grab it and HD offered me a ride to school. Even with the ride, I was late.

Co-teach was back today and it was nice to see her. Our classes were pretty good and we got all of our planning done for next class, so all in all, the day was a win. Since tomorrow’s a holiday, we confirmed our plans to go to Turkey with the other teacher who is going with us.

I came home in the rain and came right upstairs to change. I stayed in my room reading (trying to finish Emma) until Bebia called me for lunch. I went down and had lobio (made with kidney beans this time, not green) and creamed spinach. It’s so good to get greens, even if they are stewed in a pot until you can’t tell what they were originally. They’re still green.

I read a little more, until it got too cold to stay in my room. Then I went to the kitchen to make some tea. When I got there, Bebia had a huge pan of walnuts sitting on the table. I made my tea and sat down to watch what she was doing. Turns out, she was digging the nut meat (he he he) out of the walnuts in preparation for making the walnut sauce that’s really popular here. Finally spying a job that I could help with, I got a knife and started helping.

Not too long after that, Neighbour Boy rang the bell. He’d come over for help with his English work. For once it wasn’t the stupid practice exam. It’s funny. Every time he comes over he says "Just fifteen nimutes," but it’s usually closer to 45 minutes or an hour. Today I helped him for 25 minutes and then went back to helping Bebia with the walnuts.

While we were working, the rest of the family came home. The boys were in and out of the kitchen and playing with really loud toys in the tv room (which is the only room attached to the kitchen). The power went out once while we were working, but I think there’s a generator that gets used if it’s already dark, so it wasn’t out for long. When we finished with the walnuts, I came back up to my room.

I finished Emma and had just started writing here when HM asked for an English lesson. It wasn’t long. She has a book. Mostly, she studies on her own and then she reads and translates, while I listen, correct her pronounciation and answer questions. Being an adult, she can cover more lessons than HB1 and she’s more motivated, so it’s nice to work with.

Tonight is VM night. And I have to go to bed early, because we are leaving early for Turkey in the morning. I am so excited. One more country to cross of my list of places I’ve never been. Sadly, I probably won’t get to Istanbul, but I’m sure the rest of Turkey has stuff going for it, too.

No comments: