About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Nov. 10 - Weirdness abounds

School today was full of bizarre, random Georgian weirdness. In my first class, one of the girls was late and when she came in, she had two bunches of flowers; one for Co-teach and one for me. They were really pretty and looked like they’d been cut fresh from the garden. This was weirdness number 1. Then Co-teach gets two calls during class, while I was teaching. When class ended, she told me that her father had guests from Poland at their house and she had to go. So I would have to teach gr 12 by myself. Weirdness number 2. The entire grade 12 class was a joke. I wanted to try mad libs with them, but they didn’t get it and without Co-teach there to explain, it was a free-for-all of nonsense. Toss in the fact that there were 3 kids there that I’ve never seen before and that they avoided doing work by telling me about one of my students’ recent marraige and you have Weirdness number 3. I let grade 12 go early and had started grading some assignments when my phone rang. It was Co-teach, calling from her house to find out why I wasn’t there yet. I didn’t know I’d been invited. But I went and met her dad and the guests (who don’t speak English). Then Co-teach apologized to me for not calling sooner, but she was busy serving. She had had to leave her job to go home and serve snacks and drinks to her father and his guests, because heaven forbid a Georgian man serve his own damn self. Weirdness number 4.

I spent the whole day talking to and texting back and forth with Boston. We’ve finally gotten some answers to questions that we’ve been asking the TLG staff for a month. Right now it’s a matter of "We don’t know, but we’ll let you know when we do." And I’m fine with that. It’s the Georgian tendency not to send confirmation e-mails, as we do in North America, that was causing some serious anxiety.

I also had loads of time online today and accomplished many personal missions. Otherwise, not much is happening in my home world. Had an English lesson with HB1. He’s getting much better at working by himself and only asking me for answers when he needs help, leaving me free to do my own thing, as long as I’m nearby. I rounded out my day with Veronica Mars and then bed.

No comments: