About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nov. 17 - safety, schmafety

The official story on HB3’s leg is that he fractured a bone in the top of his foot. There is an actual cast on it, and he generally seems to be ok. He keeps wanting to go to sleep on the couch where I am, which would be fine by me, except that Bebia doesn’t help at all. HB3 will be laying there almost asleep and she’ll come barreling into the room. The door makes a loud noise every time it’s opened, so no matter how close to sleep HB3 is, the sound wakes him up. Then he realizes how close he was and starts crying and calling out, at which point I return him to his mother, because I did not sign up to be a nanny.

Several interesting things happened today. I say that everyday, and yet it continues. In gr 12, one of the students used the handout I gave him to make a paper airplane. He was smart enough not to fly it in my class. I guess he got tired of having a grounded plane, because then he refolded it into a hat, which the boy next to him put on. It looked lovely.

On my break I saw the gr 6's playing in the yard. They had a wooden plank placed across a bench. The plank wasn’t attached to anything, but they were using it as a see-saw. And this was ok. I mean, smart of them to devise their own entertainment, but safety standards? Hello?

At home, HD had the chainsaw out again. This time the victim was the other tree that overhangs the pool deck. I missed all of the branches coming off, but I did get a killer series of pics of the tree coming down. This was after I’d had to move from where I was sitting, due to the possibility of the tree falling on me. It didn’t even fall that way, but I was grateful for the precaution.

No comments: