About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Oct. 31 - I'm a Polar Bear for Hallowe'en

It’s Hallowe’en and it was definitely scary. After last night’s activities, we had all expected to sleep in, but I was awake by a little after 8. Everyone else was up by nine. We all did the run down from last night.

Half of the people left pretty early. When there were only some of us left, Mom made banana pancakes. There was no syrup, but we ate them with nutella instead. They were amazing. We hung out for a little longer, before I had to head into Batumi to meet Boston. She and I had planned to do a Polar Bear swim in the Black Sea. Kiwi came with me, to laugh and take pics and Sailor and Joker came too. We all met at the Sheraton.

After chatting for a while and catching the others up on what they missed from the party, I changed into my suit and we headed for the beach. The weather was not co-operative. It was windy and cold and there had been hail earlier. But to the beach we went.

At first, we just took pictures of the waves, because they were huge and really cool. While Boston and I worked up our nerve, Joker and Sailor went closer to the water. A huge wave caught them off guard and soaked them from the knees down. Joker was wearing rubber boots, and the water got inside, but poor Sailor was just wearing jeans and sneakers.

Boston and I gave our cameras to the others and stripped down. It was freaking cold! We approached the water cautiously, not wanting to get caught off guard. I was wearing my crocs (wanting something to protect my feet from the stones) but after the first wave almost removed them, I threw them back at the others. We stayed in the water for a few more waves. I was really cold and decided that the next wave would be my last. Boston agreed. The wave was huge and knocked me on my ass. I barely kept my head above water. Luckily, with the waves being so big, I had some time before the next one hit. I was on my feet and out of the water faster than I could think.

We were shivering and numb as we toweled off. Sailor and Joker had a great time taking pictures of me and Sarah, while we were miserable. P.S. I have lost a lot of weight and looked fantastic in my bikini. I didn’t even mind the pics.

We removed our wet suits from under our towels, put on dry clothes and headed to a café for hot drinks. Since Sailor was hungry, we went to a café that also had food. It was fantastic. I had hot chocolate with Bailey’s. And Sailor’s Greek salad had actual feta cheese. I will definitely be going back there.

After eating, we stopped at Populi, Elit Electronics, and Goodwill. Boston and Kiwi left us after Populi and we split up with Joker after Goodwill. Sailor and I caught a marshrutka home with no problems.

At home, I discovered the power out and upstairs freezing. I took my Kobo and flaslight downstairs and watched Bebia trying to build a fire. The kids were playing and it was a cozy, if noisy, situation. After a while, the power came back on. I had a cup of tea and came upstairs to write and watch tv.

We (the English teachers) are officially a big deal. Bebia just got me to watch a Georgian comedy show, with a sketch about an English teacher. What I could understand of it was pretty funny. I figure once you’ve made the mainstream media (and not just the news) you’ve really made it.

No comments: