About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Oct 29 - No sickness like home sickness

Things here have settled into a routine and I’ve been homesick lately. I’ve come to realize that in spite of the smell of leaves and woodsmoke in the crisp air, the colours are all wrong. The leaves here don’t change, or if they do, it’s just to yellow or brown as they die. With Thanksgiving and Hallowe’en not being celebrated, I’m really missing home and familiarity. In school, this has been manifesting in me having no patience with the kids and yelling a lot. I finally started feeling healthy on Wed., but then emotionally I’m a bit of a mess.

I’ve been going from my house to school and back since last Saturday. Thinking that isolation may be a contributing factor to my homesickness, I decided to go into Batumi for Italian dinner with Boston and Joker. Before I met up with them, I ran some errands. My friend Gent (called because he is a Southern Gentleman) is having a Hallowe’en party tomorrow so I was looking to pick up some costume pieces. I decided to re-use my Greek goddess costume, figuring that all I needed was a bedsheet. Couldn’t find one, so the plan needs to change.

When I was finished with my errands, I still had some time to kill, so I headed to the Sheraton to meet Joker. He was finishing his workout, so I read for a while in the lobby. While we were leaving, we ran into Sailor, so we made her come with us for dinner. Boston was waiting for us in the pizza place and she told us that Lush (the girl likes to drink) was also going to join us.

I hadn’t seen anyone in a really long time, so it was great to hear the day to day stories. It was also good to find out that everyone’s been dealing with homesickness lately. For some reason, it’s easier to go through, knowing that everyone else is going through it too. Also, knowing that tomorrow we’re going to have and entire night to hang out with a bunch of other foreign people.

Sailor and I rode the marshrutka home together and she missed her stop. Since it was dark and stormy, we decided to share a cab, stopping at my house first and then going on to hers. We made tentative plans to do a slumber party at my house sometime soon. We didn’t want to try for definite plans, because Georgia hates advanced planning and would probably smite us.

At home, I secured myself in my room (preferring to remain isolated from many things Georgian) and got absorbed in a book. It wasn’t new, but it was English. More and more I find I’m missing real books. E-books give me stories, but they don’t give me the physical sensations of holding, and smelling, and reading a real book.

No comments: