About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Nov. 5 - TGIF

Today, I had an assignment due in gr. 9. The entire project was done outside of class time and I didn’t have much hope of getting them handed in, but I was pleasantly surprised. Four out of the five groups handed them in and they looked pretty good.

In the afternoon, some of the teachers decided to go into Batumi today for dinner. I already had plans with my friends, so I declined. However, the teachers who were going all finished class earlier than Co-teach and I, so they pressured her into cancelling our gr. 12 class (last of the day) so that they could get a move on. So she cancelled it, and we all left early.

I went into Batumi right away, which meant that I had time for the haircut that I didn’t get on Wed before everyone else was ready to meet. I went into the salon and asked for a cut the same way I did last time. This time,though, they thought I was Russian and took me through the well lit, public salon area and up a stairway in the back, to what looked like a woman’s apartment. I was a little freaked out, but she gave me an amazing cut and a great blow dry, so I was happy.
After my haircut, I hung out at the café, which is a pretty central meeting place. Hammer, Boston and Sailor eventually all showed up. Joker was meeting us at the restaurant, because it was closer to his house.

Over dinner, we did a fun rehash of our weeks. Turns out we had lots of time to talk because our food took forever. They also brought us a gigantic order of the wrong thing. Since servers here never write anything down, this is not uncommon, but it’s never happened on such a big scale. Normally, I wouldn’t have worried, except that 4/5 of us are vegetarian and they brought us meat khingali, in spite of the fact that Joker clearly said potato.

Once they got our order right, the food was really good. When our bill came, though, they’d charged us for the wrong order as well. We ended up being pretty rude (not that rude is even a thing in Georgia) just because we don’t possess the language skills to be polite in Georgian. It was a whole big thing and it took forever to fix it and then it took ages to get our change. It was almost 9 by the time Boston and I got back to my house.

Once we got here, we decided to visit with the family. The kids were around and had some plastic ball-pit balls out. HB3 gave one to Boston and she tried to play catch with him. HB2 wanted to play too, except that he can’t really catch. When he tried, it looked like he was having a seizure and more often than not he wound up on his ass. It was so funny to watch. HB1 also wanted to be included and we ended up with an hilarious free-for-all of me, Boston and all 3 of my host brothers whipping 4 different balls around the room at each other. It ended when HM started yelling and Sarha and I discreetly collected the balls.

After "catch" HD wanted to play "Joker". This time we played with partners. It’s not actually any different than regular play, except that you add your score to your partners at the end. HM was my partner and we won by a large margin. This was not cool with HD, who tried to blame the whole thing on Boston, though she had played much better than he had. When she started to argue back (all in good fun) I decided we’d had enough family time and dragged her upstairs.
It was pretty late by that point, so we came straight to bed.

No comments: