About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Nov. 4 - Livin' the life

Did some laundry this morning. I have to pick and choose my days carefully now that the weather’s turned. The balcony on which I used to drape my clothes (which is sheltered from the rain) no longer gets any sun. So if I want my clothes to dry in less than 4 days, I have to hang them on the line, which is not sheltered from the rain. Anyway, I put a load in this morning before school and then hung them to dry when I got home.

I have less and less patience with what is deemed acceptable classroom behaviour here. Especially since these kids have been dealing with me for a month and a half. I have never once picked someone who is calling "Mast! Mast! Mast!" (It’s a short form for the Georgian word for teacher) and waving their hands at me. Why do they still look suprised when I choose to ignore this behaviour?

Other than my general bitchiness, school was the same as always. At break, I showed Co-teach my pics from the weekend, including the party and the sea. I skipped a lot of the party pictures, because I didn’t really want to explain things like ‘beer pong’. She also told me that Boston and I are lucky that we didn’t get seriously ill from our 5 minutes in the sea. I didn’t feel like arguing, so I agreed and changed the subject.

I had lunch with Bebia, including another fruit that I’ve never seen before. This one looks like a persimmon with a pointy bottom. The inside is soft textured like a plum and orange. It tastes familiar, but I can’t place the flavour. Anyway, it’s delicious and I’m really glad they’re in season right now.

After lunch I was chilling in my room with my lappy and mp3 player when 2 of my students stopped by for help. I assigned a project for my gr. 9 class. They have to research a Georgian city and create a brochure. It’s due tomorrow. So Monkey came over with one of his group members so that I could proofread their rough copy. Of course he didn’t come empty handed (because he never does). Today’s fruit was mandarins. They’re finally ripe and he brought me 3 of them. I’m excited.

No comments: