About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sept 1 - First day

For starters, yesterday I did nothing. I stayed at home, read some books and played on the internet. I managed to order some new online books, so my life is complete. The whole family went into Batumi for the afternoon, but I didn’t want to go, so I had hours of uninterrupted me time. It was fantastic.
The only thing of note was that after the family got home, it was dinner time. And when I went down, I got to cook my own eggs!!! Bebia was in the kitchen and she let me cook. It’s the first time since I got here that I’ve had an egg cooked over-easy. They only do them sunny side up. Bebia looked at me like I was crazy when I didn’t put the lid on, and then like I was really crazy when I flipped them over, but I don’t care. They were the best tasting eggs ever.
Today was the first day of school. For the teachers, not the kids. I guess at most schools they had meetings, but mine didn’t even have that. Everyone just kind of hung out, socializing (in Georgian, of course). I’d been at the school for over an hour before my co-teacher even showed up.
And an hour is plenty of time for a round of stare-at-the-foreigner. They also managed to laugh at everything I said in Georgian and find out my age, what I eat and my marital status. None of which was asked of me directly, but came from the assistant director who is my neighbour. It was really uncomfortable.
Finally, K (my co-teacher) arrived and we got to see our classroom. She also provided me with the textbooks that we’ll be using. I found out all sorts of good stuff about how many classes we’ll teach in a week (18) and what time school starts (9 or 9:30, it depends [on what, I don’t know]). Also, since we have no visual aids, or posters for our class, we are going school supply shopping in Batumi tomorrow. I’m very excited.
The worst thing about being at school is the heat. It’s 40 C here and we’re all dying. When I got home from school, I had lunch and watched the telanovela that I love. Around 3 I went out to the pool, where I spent a couple of hours. I’d jump in to cool off, swimm around a little and then lounge on a beach chair in the shade with my Kobo. When I got too warm I’d do it all over again.
Just when I was thinking about coming inside, the family was going to the sea. So I went too. It was super windy and the waves were awsome. I spent the whole time swimming against the current. I’d swim out pretty far and then let the waves bring me back in. I had to be careful, though, cuz current kept pushing me down the beach away from where the HF was.
Had some dinner when we got home. Bebia makes these stuffed peppers called t’olma. They are my favourite Georgian food. Even cold they’re ok. After washing my dishes, I gave HB1 (the oldest) an English lesson. It was a little annoying. HM wants him to learn this stuff, but if she was anywhere nearby when I asked a question, she answered it for him. And her English is better than HB1’s, but it’s not good enough for me to explain that the best way to help her kid learn is to back the hell off. From now on, lessons are going to be in the upstairs sitting room, where no one else goes.

No comments: