About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sept. 6 - Daily Life

Georgian Maybe Time (GMT) is the bane of my existence. I got a text this morning, telling me that my co-teacher wouldn’t be at school until 11. That’s fine, I show up at 11 and she’s 10 minutes late (as usual). So we get into our classroom and the school director comes in, wanting to know when we are going to get the supplies we need from Batumi. They talk for a good 10 or 15 minutes and the director leaves. Then K sits down and says, "Ok, first a break and then we will get to work." But what was she taking a break from. We hadn’t done anything yet. So we finally get to lesson planning, which I manage to gear to 1 class at a time. We do 5 plans for the gr.6 class and K decides she’s tired and that we were done for the day. It was 12:45. We hadn’t even been working for 2 hours.

With the rest of my day free, I came home, read a book. Talked to some people. Went for a swim, but the water was chilly enough that I actually had to swim to keep warm, so I that didn’t last long. For dinner we had a chili-type dish and the worst peirogies I’ve ever had. Even though I don’t like chili at home, I loved it here, just because it was finally familiar flavors. The pierogies looked good, but they were filled with Georgian cheese, not cheddar and potatoes as I had hoped.
After dinner I tried to do the social thing with my family. I was doing really well too. The boys wanted to play Joker, so HD, HB1, HB2 and I played. The guy from across the street came over and was helping me, so I was actually winning. But then HM came out and took me visiting to a neighbour’s house in the middle of the game. I hate visiting. I don’t know these people, I don’t know the language and I end up sitting there, being told to eat, while everyone talks around me in Georgian. Good Times. Although, at this particular visit there was fruit juice (with real fruit in the glasses) and grape pudding, which wasn’t my favourite, but was still interesting.

No comments: