About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Sept. 3 - Batumi, not what I expected

Yesterday was school supply shopping day. So at 10am I show up at the school to meet K, who finally shows up at 10:25. Then we go to meet a bus, which ends up being random guys driving into Kobuleti who have room for two more people in their car. Regardless, we get to the station safely and catch a marshrutka into Batumi.
We found the bookstore we were looking for. The door was open and people were inside, but they had just received an order and were not letting customers in. K talked to the proprietors and found out that they have everything we want, but we couldn't buy it then. We have to go back later.
Since business was finished by 11:30, we walked to a cafe where we had the Georgian equivalent of a milkshake. It was cold, frothy, milk (which may o r may not have had ice cream in it) and it was perfect for such a hot day. M (the girl from Toronto) and D (Portland) met us at the cafe. When K had to go to an appointment, I hung out with the girls.
We wandered for a while, until M had to go meet her host mom. D and I continued our wandering until K called me to meet again. We were just discussing where to meet when E (from San Fran) got out of a cab. I arranged to meet K and chatted with E for a bit. While we were talking, two other teachers were coming down the street. The four of them went into the cafe and I went to meet K.
Since K had no other plans, we went back to the cafe and I introduced her to all of the teachers. I had tea and she had Turkish coffee. We were still enjoying our drinks when 2 more teachers came in. They stopped by to say 'hi', but our table was full, so they went to sit by themselves.
I came home and gave HB1 an English lesson and then listened to the rain fall. I ended up reading by flashlight, because our power went out and the clouds made it dark earlier than usual.

No comments: