About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Sept. 16 - Trying to reclaim sanity

The power was still out this morning when I woke up. I’m getting used to it, but it meant that I couldn’t go online to get help for my e-reader (thanks to the super short battery life of my laptop). I gave up on that for the time being and just got ready for school.

I was there before 9, but the students weren’t, so school actually started at 9:10. Today we had the three classes that we didn’t see yesterday and the Grade 9 class for the second time. They are my least favourite class. There are 21 students (the largest class I have) and half of them are boys who don’t want to be there. The biggest problem is that they talk all the time and I can’t hear the person I’m trying to listen to. I’ve decided to bring in my book of nursery rhymes and fairy tales and making them read in front of the class every time they interrupt a lesson.

After school, I went over the wall. I could not stay in the village for another afternoon. So I waited half an hour for the bus and went into Batumi. I was supposed to meet W at the café, but he decided to go to Turkey with S and K. Everything worked out, cuz I met C (Vancouver) and F (South Africa) there instead and then F showed me the library.

My bus ride home was an adventure. First, we went the opposite way when we left the station. Then we drove through this random, back-alley market in Kobuleti, where we stopped so that a woman and her market stand could get on. While we were stopped another woman got off, so we waited for her. Under way again, we only made it a couple blocks more when we stopped again to let a cop get on (I would’ve stopped for the cop, too). Finally, using random side roads, we made it back to the main street and started up the mountain, but all of the extra stops and detours took 20 minutes. Normally, it takes 5 to go from the station to my house.

Since A (NYC) often gets into random situations on public transit, I texted her each time something bizzare happened. She called me just as I got home and we chatted for an hour. But now I have to go get something to eat, so I don’t miss my nightly instalment of Gossip Girl.

XOXO

No comments: