About Me

I'm the thing that's not like the others.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Sept. 15 - First day of school

The last few days have been super lame. Yesterday it was pouring down rain and I went to school because K asked me to. I figured we’d be doing our last minute prep for classes starting Wed. But no. She wanted me to meet one of her students, which I did. However, the student was so nervous, that she didn’t even speak to me, except to say goodbye at the end. We literally did nothing else, so I left around 12. I made it home and read a book and talked on the phone all afternoon, because it literally rained all day.

Today was the first day kids were at school. There was an assembly in the morning where the director spoke and then some kids said some poems. Culturally, they show no respect to performers. Even when the director was speaking, everyone was talking to each other and pretty much ignoring her. This worked for me, because it meant that when she called me to the front to introduce me, no one was paying attention. But this trend carries over into classes and it’s really frustrating when all Georgian buildings have terrible accoustics. Wanna hear a whisper from 3 rooms away, you’re in the right place. Want to hear what the person in front of you just said, better luck next time.

Since the assembly ran for 45 minutes, the entire school day was pushed back by 45 mins. No shortening classes to fit a school day, here. They lengthen the school day, so students always have all of their classes. It’s super annoying when I’m supposed to be done by 1:45 and don’t get out until 2:30.

Also, because of the flexible nature of the school day, there’s no timetable. We have a schedule, but we don’t know what time 4th period starts. We have to listen for the bells. It’s a pain in the ass for the days we have double spare and I need to run home (not that that will be happening now, but I’d kinda hoped....)

Back at home I interneted and read some in the afternoon. I spent a lot of time on the phone with W, K (not my co-teacher) and S. We all rehashed our first days and the more I hear, the more I realize how lucky I am, in my school. My teacher is a good teacher who is open to my ideas and doesn’t just teach from the textbook.

But, they were all hanging out in the city, (W and S in Batumi and K in Kobuleti) while I’m stuck up on the mountain. I realized that I haven’t left the village since Borjomi on Sunday and that’s the reason that I’m going a little stir crazy. It doesn’t help that my e-reader was acting funky and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. The power went out at about 10:30, so I packed everything up and went to bed.

No comments: